Thursday, November 15, 2012

Let it Begin

This week was busy. I was forced to get into contact with an advisor from the University of Houston for the first time in a long while. If you have ever tried to contact a specific advisor you can understand that this task was daunting. I couldn’t get in contact with my advisor and I had to call someone else. She told me that in order to transfer into the Computer Engineering College I needed chemistry. I am currently enrolled in university physics I because my advisor told me to take it. I asked if I could be admitted with physics and the person said, “The piece of paper says chemistry.”  I said thank you and hung up the phone. I then called three different offices to find my advisor and he sent me an email with transfer information. I could have university physics and I was indeed on the right track to transfer. Texas A&M, U of T, and Texas Tech all run this way as well.  I also found out that the University of Houston automatically accepts students with an associate’s degree. The road in front of me looks good.


I also met with the lab staff for the first time. While they were getting to know me I was asked a series of questions. One went something like, “which state would you kick out of the US and why.” I chose to give Alaska the boot, only because it was already far away and I honestly couldn’t think of any states not on the west coast. That is why I’m a math geek and not a geography geek. They decided that I could join the robotics club and learn to program and build robots with the team. I am a tad intimidated. I will be a “noob” among the more experienced. Hopefully I learn at a decent pace and prove to be useful. I am not completely afraid though.  I was told if nothing else, I can use my Photoshop skills to edit pictures for the team.

All things considered, I’m ready to start this. I am pumped to begin my training in the complex art of robotics and I feel like I am moving forward with my education.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone on the robotics team was a noob at some point. I have been with the club for almost three years and I still feel like a noob. I think you will be a great addition to the team.

    ReplyDelete